Billie Eilish Gets Ready for the Met Gala | Vogue (Video)






Ads

sexta-feira, 24 de abril de 2015

Dybala: Argentina is my main aim

Dybala: Argentina is my main aim


Not since Hernan Crespo in 2001 has an Argentinian headed the Serie A scoring charts, the position in which Carlos Tevez of Juventus currently finds himself, with 18 goals to his name.

Completing the top six are three more Argentinian goalgetters, with Mauro Icardi tied for second on 16 and Gonzalo Higuain joint-fifth on 13, along with a young compatriot by the name of Paulo Dybala, one of the hottest properties in Italian football right now.

“It’s really great that people are talking so much about me because it means that I’m doing things right,” said the 21-year-old Palermo forward, who also has ten assists to his name so far this campaign.

Quick on his feet, mobile and blessed with a devilish turn of pace and a sublime left foot, the young Argentinian has a clutch of top European clubs monitoring his progress, among them Juventus and Arsenal.

Dubbed “the new Messi” by Palermo’s chairman, Dybala is happy to take things as they come, however, and is waiting for the end of the season before deciding where his future might lie.

Breaking through
As he explained in an exclusive chat with FIFA.com, the young Dybala is accustomed to creating a bit of a fuss: “What’s happening now is all pretty similar to what I went through when I was in Argentina. I made a really good start to my career and there was a lot of speculation about where I’d end up going. Like I did then, I’m just trying to take this all in my stride and keep my feet on the ground.”

Dybala made his professional debut as a 17-year-old with second-division outfit Instituto, contributing 17 goals and five assists as the Cordoba side fell just short of promotion in his maiden season, losing to San Lorenzo in a play-off.

“It was a big disappointment,” he recalled. “We thought we had it, but we let it slip right at the end and went away empty-handed.”

Though his club narrowly missed out on the big time, the youngster had done more than enough to earn his break, with Palermo coming in for him in 2012 and making him an offer he could not refuse.

“When I started out I never thought that things would happen so quickly,” he explained. “It was great to come here so young, though settling in was not that easy. There’s a big difference between Laguna Larga (his hometown in the province of Cordoba), where everyone knows each other, and a big city like Palermo. There was also a new language to learn and new customs, and Italian football is a huge challenge too.”

With the move came the pressure to succeed: “When I came here, everyone was wondering if I was really worth 12 million euros. They were saying it was a lot of money and that they’d paid too much for me. I’ve managed to silence the doubters, though.”

There is no trace of arrogance in the youngster’s voice, however, just understandable pride at having overcome the obstacles he has faced so far in his short life, which included losing his father when he was only 15.

“He always dreamed that I’d get to where I am now,” Dybala said of him. “Sadly, he’s not here to enjoy it, though I feel like he’s by my side when I’m out on the pitch.”

Further adversity came his way when his new club were relegated to the second division at the end of his first season in Italy.

“You learn more from the negative things,” he commented. “I knew it wasn’t going to be easy playing in Serie B, but after overcoming some injury niggles I was able to find my feet and to start learning, a lot. We’re having a good season in Serie A (Palermo lie in 11th place) and we’re building the good work we did last year. We’ve held on to 80 percent of the team.”

Dybala’s Palermo career took off in the second tier, where he struck up a productive partnership with fellow countryman Franco Vazquez. The front two have kicked on this season, terrorising opposing defences across the land. 

In the process, the two have become firm friends: “He’s like a brother to me,” said Dybala. “We have a great relationship and we’re very close, because we come from the same place. We spend time together when we go back home to Cordoba on our holidays.”

Albiceleste ambition
There are only two things the friends and team-mates do not have in common. While Dybala remains a diehard Instituto fan, Vazquez supports their arch rivals Belgrano.

The two sides met recently in the Copa Argentina, with Instituto coming out on top. The price of defeat for Vazquez is a slap-up barbeque for his smiling sidekick, who said: “He’s got to organise the whole thing and pay for it, though we’re going to leave it for the next time we’re home.”

The two also have different national allegiances, with Vazquez having recently been called up for Italy and Dybala holding out for a call from Argentina, although he is also eligible for La Azzurra.

“My dream is to play for Argentina because I feel Argentinian,” Dybala explained. “I’m going to fight hard for it, though I know it’s going to be tough because it’s a country with some of the best strikers in the world.”

Ever ready to accept a challenge, he added: “I’ve still got a lot to learn and I know that if I keep plugging away, then my chance will come. Making the national team is my biggest dream.”

Aware that a move to a big European club could be crucial to getting the nod from Albiceleste boss Gerardo Martino, the fast-improving striker signed off by saying: “I’ve got my whole career ahead of me and I have a lot of objectives I want to achieve. If I’m going to fulfil them, I need to make the best possible decision.”