Billie Eilish Gets Ready for the Met Gala | Vogue (Video)






Ads

quinta-feira, 13 de agosto de 2015

If you score here, you've made it

"If you score here, you've made it"


Carolina Morace is a figurehead of women's football in Italy whose record four goals at Wembley in 1990 secured her a permanent place in sporting history.
CopyHardNews / Reprodução 


A ithough I rarely remember specific dates, I make an exception for 19 August 1990. It was the day I played for the Italian women's national team against England at the legendary Wembley Stadium ahead of the FA Charity Shield. As the players sat together in the dressing room before the match, the coach took me to one side and said to me: "Carolina, if you score here then you've made it as a footballer." Those words really got through to me and I went out onto the pitch full of motivation. We won the match 4-1 and I scored all of Italy's goals. I was just happy to have got on the scoresheet at Wembley when the first strike went in, but I could barely contain my elation after scoring the second. When the third and fourth goals prompted thunderous applause and even a standing ovation from the spectators, I knew something special was happening. No player, male or female, had ever found the target at Wembley four times in a single game before.

 Although I've achieved many things in my career - I've lifted trophies, been named among the four best players in the vote for player of the decade and was the first woman to be inducted into the Hall of Fame in my homeland - there is no doubt that my success in London in the moment that will live longest in my memory. The wonderfull thing about it is that it was accepted as the record without any gender discussion, thus confirming the fact that I never felt the need to specifically prove myself just for being a woman throughout my time as a striker. In fact, the exact opposite was true - I always felt the same sense of regard from everyone.

  Things are slightly different when it comes to coaching. You need an exceptional background to be accepted as a female coach, and will struggle to establish yourself if you're unable to point to any major past successes. My Wembley goals helped me in that respect. That achievement, together with my skills as a television commentator, showed the world that I know something about the game amd opened doors for me all the way to my current job as head of a training camp in Perth. That's why I'll always remember that record. Plus, there's no way anyone can ever beat it - after all, the old Wembley Stadium no longer exists!


Exclusive,

Carolina Morace was speaking to Annette Braun

Editor's note: